Tips for a Successful Relocation
Moving to a new home can be a very stressful task. Imagine you have to coordinate all the logistics, pack and unpack your stuff, contact movers and many more. This is a very big challenge so planning ahead is the key in reducing the stress and in ensuring the smooth transition of the move.
Here are a few tips that can help make your relocation a fuss free one:
1. Make a Plan. Prepare a list of the things that you need to do and tick off each item as you accomplish them. This way, you will be sure that you will not be missing out anything.
2. Prepare Ahead. Once you have a game plan on how to proceed with the relocation, start with the things that you can already work on before the move. You can start packing items that you will no longer use before the move instead of waiting last minute to do the packing. You can do this a few weeks before the move so you have ample time. You may also opt to rent storage containers where you can load your stuff as you pack so boxes will not be lying around in the house and then you can arrange for this storage containers to be transported to your new location.
3. Notify your bank, electric and water company, etc in advance of your change in address. This has to be done a few weeks before the move so you will be sure that all your bills will be delivered to the new billing address when you already transferred to your new location.
4. Prepare your packing supplies. You should have a good amount of boxes, sealing tapes, and wrapping materials. Make sure that you have enough moving boxes to organize your stuff and a good packing tape to seal those boxes securely.
5. Organize your boxes. Establish a system on how you will pack your stuff and organize your boxes. Group into one box similar items or you can choose to put in one box, all items going in the same room. Label your boxes properly so it will be easier for you to look for items if the need arises.
6. Prepare a packing kit. This kit will include all the essential things that you can’t live without to make sure that you will have what you need even if you haven’t unpack yet. Things like toiletries, clothes for a few days, a small set of plates and utensils, towels, and similar items so you got all the basic stuff with you when you move to the new house even if it will take days before you can manage to unpack your boxes.
7. Keep the important things with you like jewelries, bank records, land titles and all other important documents. Moving houses can be chaotic so you don’t want to lose these important things that is why it is important to secure them just to be on the safe side.
8. Contact Movers. Hire a reputable moving company that will help you with your relocation. They even have the right tools and equipments that will making lifting heavy items like cabinets, dining table and the like very easy. Since this what they do for a living, they can help you with the logistics of your relocation making it easy and convenient for you.
9. Be present on the moving day. Yes you have paid for the movers and they can do all the lifting of all your stuff for you but you have to be there as the overall coordinator and to make sure that nothing will be left or taken by mistake.
Keeping these tips in mind will surely make the relocation easy for you and your family and in no time, you will be able to quickly settle down into your new life with less difficulty.
AbieL is a professional blogger and freelance article writer who writes about portable storage containers and storage containers for rent for Storagecontainer.com.