Photobucket

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Losing my Job!


I know no one is invincible in the down economy but I thought being in Human Resources, handling all the payroll and benefits, for the company I work with that I thought I had some job security.  Boy was I wrong!

Since we do not have a HR department (I am the sole HR contact), I am part of the accounting department.  About eight weeks ago the entire accounting department (three of us) was pulled into the COO's office where the CFO was waiting to tell us that we were being let go.  The entire accounting department was being consolidated with the accounting/HR functions of our parent company in Utah.

The accounts payable/receivable position and my HR position were being eliminated and the Accounting
Manager position was moving from corporate HQ in Portland Oregon to the parent company's office in Utah.  My direct manager, the Accounting Manger, has had the difficulty of knowing that this change was coming since November of last year but had to keep the burden of knowing to herself at the direction of senior management.   Since she was moving to the Utah office, she had to put her home on the market and prepare for the move all while maintaining business as usual at the office.

I had recently started a full bathroom remodel and was in the middle of it when I was told that I would soon be losing my job (not great timing!). 

The AP/AR person and myself were offered a severance package with an additional amount if we stayed on for 6 weeks to train our counterparts in the Utah office.  We both chose to stay and our final days were two weeks ago. 

The first week of being unemployed was like business as usual since I was already scheduled for vacation that week so last week was my first week of having "nothing" to do.  It was odd, not having to get up and get ready for work.  I am not sure where the time went, at the end of the day, I looked around and could not figure out what I did all day.

After finding out I was being laid off, I panicked but thankfully I have a wonderful husband that was my rock and my voice of calm and reasoning.  After my initial panic, I decided that I would look for a job but would not settle for anything.  I was going to spend some quality time over the summer with our daughter since it would not be something that I might have a chance to do again in the future.

Guess there is always a silver lining, even when being laid off of a job you had for 10 years.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

So sorry to hear about your job. Keep positive-things always work out in the end.
-Shellie

Anonymous said...

so sorry about your job, thats rough!! Good luck in the near future!!

Lucky's Luna said...

Sorry to hear about your job loss. Recession is really rough, but its great you get to spend quality time with your daughter. Good luck finding a new job position!

Beth Reed said...

Sorry to hear about your job loss, esp. after being there so long. I got laid off at the end of January and am still on the fence about whether I want to go back to work or just continue to work my home business.

Anyway, I'm a new follower from MBC, would love for you to check me out at http://www.createyourtraditions.com. :)

Melanie said...

By now you had some adjusting time and I hope all is working out well.. Thank you so much for letting us be part of your "family" and sharing this with us.. it's always int the back off my head and it can happen o anyone, anywhere... BUT everything happens for a reason...

 

Over Thirty Mommy Copyright © 2009 Flower Garden is Designed by Ipietoon for Tadpole's Notez Flower Image by Dapino | Blogger Styles

//PART 2